Crunchy Waldorf Guacamole
Total Time 1 Hours 20 Minutes
Spice Level Mild
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, stones removed and flesh mashed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small red skinned apple, halved, cored and finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 30g walnut halves, lightly toasted and chopped
- Combine the avocado, lime juice, apple, celery, coriander, mayonnaise, salt and nearly all the walnuts in a large bowl. Season with freshly ground black pepper, if you like. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Cover the surface closely with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the flavours to blend. Garnish with the remaining walnuts and extra coriander sprigs and serve.
- To toast the walnuts, place in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, until just browned.
- Replace the mayonnaise with natural yoghurt or soured cream, if you like.
- Don’t just dip! Make a deluxe prawn cocktail. Place shredded lettuce in individual serving bowls then top with spoonfuls of the guac, cooked peeled prawns and slices of smoked salmon.