Pork Belly Tacos with Avocado
Total Time 2 Hours 55 Minutes
Spice Level Mild
- 1.4 kg piece pork belly
- 1 Old El Paso™ Chilli Spice Mix
- 2 thickly sliced large Granny Smith apples
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup apple juice (250ml)
Spicy Avocado Dressing
- 1/2 avocado
- Juice of a lime
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream or yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 fresh jalapeño chilli with seeds removed and finely chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 large Granny Smith apple julienned with skin
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 shredded green cabbage
- Large handful of washed and roughly chopped coriander
- 2 shaved baby fennel bulbs
- Old El Paso™ Mini Tortillas 10pk
- 2 limes, cut into quarters or cheeks
- Preheat oven 220◦C conventional (200◦C fan forced). Using a small sharp knife, remove rind from pork belly leaving fat intact, then score fat in a criss cross pattern. Rub Chili Spice Mix into scored surface and all over pork belly.
- Place apples in a single layer over the base of an ovenproof casserole dish or high sided baking dish. NOTE: The pork requires long slow cooking. It is best the dish is similar size to pork for a snug fit. Also, a lid or foil will be required to seal the dish to keep the pork moist.
- Place pork on top of apples and cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Reduced temperature to 160◦C conventional (140◦C fan forced). Pour apple juice and add bay leaves. Cover with a lid or 2 layers of foil and bake for a further 2½ hours. Meat should be very tender and fall apart when touched with a fork.
- Remove pork from pan juices and carefully discard layer of fat. Shred pork with 2 forks.
- To make the Spicy Avocado Dressing mash together avocado, lime juice, sour cream and apple juice. Add jalapeño chilli and season with salt.
- Toss extra apple in lemon juice, combine with cabbage, coriander and fennel to create a Crunchy Slaw.
- For delicious pan toasted tortillas, heat a non- stick frying pan over a medium heat and brown each tortilla for 10 seconds on one side only. Wrap in a tea towel until ready to serve.
- Serve shredded pork, wedges of lime, slaw with avocado dressing and toasted tortillas to the table and let everyone build their own soft tacos any way they like!